natural dyes Feed

Around here....

FullSizeRender 26

FullSizeRender 31

FullSizeRender 34

inside

  • saying "good morning" with wild blueberry scones
  • meal prep for the week ahead 
  • a little bit of experimentation (dried tansy in a dye bath)

FullSizeRender 28

FullSizeRender 33

FullSizeRender 29

outside

  • A little bit of wandering - trying to soak up a little sunlight during this dark time of year.  We lost a lot of our snow during a stretch of rain last week.  Today we got a dusting over a layer of ice that has accumulated.  Temperatures are below freezing, so there is some hope that our lakes will start to freeze and we will gently transition into our true winter.

Wishing you a good start to your week, from my little corner of the world to yours!


::an experiment with natural dyes - lupines

Lupine1

A couple of days ago I tidied up our art cabinet.   I sorted through craft supplies, yarn, needles and thread and was reunited with some roving and hand spun yarn I had not touched in a while.  I decided to do something with the yarn.  I checked out the lovely book Harvesting Color by Rebecca Burgess from the library which clearly outlined the processes for dying wool with items from nature.   Inspired by the material in the book and the abundance of lupines near by, I decided to do some experimentation.   In Harvesting Color lupines are not featured, but there were very clear instructions for the mordant, a general master dye bath, and an afterbath.

Here's What I did:

Lupine2First I collected lupine petals.  The lupines are blooming in abundance in my neck of the woods.  Many are starting to go to seed.  It was easy to pull off the petals in one quick swipe down the stem and it took my kiddos and I just about 20 minutes to fill up this large basket and 2 gallon bucket with petals.

IMG_3490For the mordant I presoaked my fiber in an alum and water mixture.  I then hung the fiber to dry.

IMG_3500

IMG_3493

I created the dye bath by boiling the lupine petals.  I packed in as much as I could without the dye bath boiling over.  I let it boil for over an hour then let the petals soak in the dye bath overnight.  The lupine petals in the water for over 24 hours to create the dye bath, which was a deep purple color.

IMG_3494

IMG_3501

After I strained the plant matter out of the dye bath.  I put the fiber in the pot.  I let it sit overnight before I took the yarn and roving out to dry.

IMG_3502

I was anticipating a purple color, but what I got was a beautiful shade of green!

IMG_3513

IMG_3515

IMG_3516

I am so very pleased with the results!

Yarn

I am excited to get this yarn on some needles!  (I am planning on spinning up the remainder of the wool.)   During the process I also dried some lupine petals in our dehydrator. I have hopes to share this process with my kindergarten students during the school year.  I also am planning to use some of the petals in my soaps.

IMG_3487

IMG_3504

This was a fun and successful experiment with natural dyes!