A couple of weeks ago I checked in on my bees and determined one of the two hives that I tried to overwinter was still buzzing. Yesterday, checked in with intentions of adding a pollen patty (protein source) and I found that the small cluster of bees that made it through the winter had since perished.
This hive was strong going into the winter and even now had quite a surplus of honey. I decided to take three frames of honey for an early spring harvest, saving a couple of full frames for the for the new bees that I will be starting over with later this spring.
I also rendered the wax to use for lip balm and lotion bar recipes.
Even though I will be starting over this spring, I am happy with my unexpected harvest, and I am eager to embark on another season of beekeeping.